10 Ways to Build Your Self-Image (Part 2)
Posted by Todd Smith
Prefer to Listen? Play Audio Version
In yesterday’s lesson I pointed out the critical importance of building a strong self-image if you want to live a happy, successful and fulfilling life. I then outlined the first five ways to build your self-image. In today’s lesson I will continue this two part series with the remaining five points.
For the sake of this lesson, I define your self-image as the combination of your self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem, self-respect, because they really all do impact how you look at yourself.
6. Focus On Your Self-talk—Your self-talk is the conversations you have with yourself. If those conversations focus on your faults, mistakes, weaknesses or insecurities, it will be impossible to feel good about yourself. Become aware of these conversations and make sure they stay positive. When they get negative, analyze the reason behind your thoughts and work to correct them.
As I said in It’s a New Day when you make mistakes, learn all you can learn from them and use your self-control to move on. Learning to control the conversations you have with yourself is critical to building a strong self-image.
7. Practice Daily Self-discipline—As I said in my post, The Hidden Benefit of Discipline, there is a direct link between your self-image and your self-discipline. When you do what you know you should do, you will feel great about yourself. At the same time when you don’t do the things you know you should, it has the opposite effect. Go do something you have been putting off and see how you feel about yourself when you are done.
8. Don’t Be So Hard on Yourself—This point is a fine line. On one hand, if you don’t push and stretch yourself, you will never become all you are capable of becoming. At the same time, you need to recognize that it’s okay to give yourself a break from time to time. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. We all have weaknesses. Learn to push yourself to be your best, but at the same time don’t beat yourself up if you’re not perfect.
9. Learn How to Deal with Criticism—One of the things that I often see that destroys a person’s self-image is their inability to accept and process criticism. I would bet I have received constructive feedback or criticism more than a thousand times. While all feedback and criticism is hard at first, the key is to be able to learn all you can learn from it, and then to use your self-control to stop thinking about it. Dwelling on criticism is a self-image killer.
10. Focus on God’s Plan For Your Life—God has a plan and purpose for your life. More than likely it is staring you in the face. Make a list of your most unique gifts and strengths and understand they have been giving to you for a reason. If you will use those to their fullest, your life will take on a new meaning and your self-image will soar.
If you are struggling with your self-image, then starting today, incorporate these 10 tips into your daily routine. When you get down on yourself, re-read part 1 and part 2 of this lesson.
Bonus Tip: Stop hanging out with people who tear you down and start hanging around the people who lift you up. The people you allow in your life will influence the person you become.
“Are you allowing your weaknesses and insecurities to keep you from being your best? God loves to use ordinary people just like you and me, faults and all, to do extraordinary things.” -Joel Osteen
Load Disqus Comments
Top 20 Most Popular Posts
- 30 Tips to Staying Married 30 Years
- 36 Ways to Make a Positive Impression in Less Than 10 Seconds
- 25 Unexpected Ways to Make Someone’s Day
- 10 Ways To Be A Good Listener
- Carefully Select the People who Influence Your Life
- The Damaging Effects of Sarcasm
- Don’t Worry About What You Can’t Control
- 10 Simple Ways to Show Your Sincere Interest in Others
- Becoming a Disciplined Person
- Personal Accountability—A Requirement for Life Advancement
- 33 Ways to Reduce and Prevent Stress
- 49 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Better Right Now!
- The Uncomfortable Path to Success
- The Power of Showing Your Appreciation
- 10 Life Guiding Decisions
- Your Words Reflect Your Character
- Count Your Blessings
- Give the Gift of Encouragement
- 11 Ways to Increase Your Discipline
- One of The Most Powerful Things You Can Say
Most Recent Posts
Connect with Little Things Matter
Little Things Matter
Improve Your Life One Thing At A Time
SUCCESS BOOKS ® is proud to Announce the Release of Todd Smiths New 280-page Hardcover Book and AudioBook