Posted by Todd Smith
On a recent Little Things Matter Facebook post I listed four questions you should never ask someone and encouraged readers to have some fun by adding theirs to my list. Well, fun we had. 128 comments later, I was laughing so hard that that I had tears in my eyes. Here are the top 70 things you should never say or ask. Hope they bring a smile to your face.
THINGS YOU NEVER SAY TO OR ASK A WOMAN:
1. Asking an overweight woman, when are you due?
2. When are you going to have that baby; seems like you’ve been pregnant forever (as she turns around with a baby in her arms!)
3. Are “those” real? – diamonds, hair color, nails and whatever else comes to your mind.
4. How old are you?
5. Honey, is that what you’re wearing tonight?
6. Do you know that outfit makes you look fat?
7. Which ex-husband?
8. Asking an older woman with a younger man, is that your son?
9. Have you had cosmetic surgery?
10. You look tired.
11. How much do you weigh?
12. Are you mad at me?
13. If the woman is with an older guy, is that your dad?
14. You’re really not going to eat all of that, are you?
15, Did you look in the mirror before you left the house?
16. What did I do wrong?
17. How much longer before you’re ready?
18. Hey lady, that’s a big foot; what’s your shoe size?
19. Are you wearing makeup?
20. I thought you were a blond, brunet, red head…
21. Have you put on some weight since I saw you last?
22. You are starting to get some facial hair.
THINGS YOU NEVER SAY TO OR ASK A MAN:
23. Asking a guy with a younger woman, is she your daughter?
24. Asking a guy with an older woman, is that your mom?
25. Which ex-wife?
26. What should I wear tonight?
27. Does this dress make my rear end look fat?
28. Do you really love me?
29. If you love me, prove it!
30. Are you a jerk to everyone you meet or just me?
31. What are you thinking?
32. To a bald guy, what happened to your hair?
33. Have you had a hair transplant?
THINGS YOU NEVER ASK A CHILD:
34. When are you going to grow up?
35. Are you a boy or a man?
36. Why do you act that way?
THINGS YOU NEVER SAY TO OR ASK A FRIEND:
37. How’s your sex life?
38. Have you put on weight?
39. Who are you and what have you done with my friend?
40. Did you pay to have your hair done that way?
41. What does the doctor say about that?
42. How much money do you make?
43. Do you think my husband’s sexy?
44. Wow, are you sure you want that dessert?
45. How many times have you been married?
46. Are you going to eat all that?
47. Why didn’t you invite ME?
48. Is that real or a knock off?
49. Where did you learn to speak English? (turns out the person was born in the US)
OTHER DUMB THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY OR ASK:
50. What’s your sign?
51. When are you going to have kids?
52. When are you going to get married?
53. Why are you still single?
54. To a male nurse, when are you going to make doctor?
55. To someone who stutters, just spit it out.
56. To a patient in the emergency room, hey, how’s it going?
57. When you eat something and say it’s awful and then ask, do you want a bite?
58. How much did that cost you?
59. If someone tells you they are on a diet, does it work?
60. Is your child a boy or a girl?
61. Is this your grandchild?
62. Why do you always do that?
63. Asking, “What happened?” when learning of someone’s death. Instead just say “Sorry!”
64. Will you be using your senior discount?
65. What’s your credit rating?
66. What religion are you?
67. Did you pray about that?
68. Asking, “What’s happened?” when learning about a tragic event in someone’s life.
69. If you meet a Korean or Japanese person, are you Chinese?
70. If someone has a skin condition or a facial deformity, is there a treatment for that?
Pretty funny stuff, huh? And yet there’s a serious lesson in all of this. My biggest take-a-way from all these comments is that words have power. They can inspire, heal or make us laugh or they can make us cry, harm or destroy. If you think before you speak, you’ll have a much greater chance of building and sustaining relationships.
From this day forward, let me encourage you to think about the words that come out of your mouth and how they may make others feel.
Parents, let me encourage you to discuss some of the examples in this post with your children. As you know, this is not taught in school.
“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” – Plato
Relationships, Things you were never taught
Todd Smith is a successful entrepreneur of 34 years and founder of Little Things Matter. To receive Todd’s lessons, subscribe here. All Todd’s lessons are also available on iTunes as downloadable podcasts.
Improve Your Life One Thing At A Time
SUCCESS BOOKS ® is proud to Announce the Release of Todd Smiths New 280-page Hardcover Book and AudioBook
with no marketing, advertising or sales pitches